ISO 45001 OHS Management Systems
ISO 45001 OHS Management Systems
What is ISO 45001?
What is ISO 45001 occupational health and safety?
Every day, thousands of lives are lost due to work accidents or fatal diseases linked to work activities. These are deaths that could and should have been prevented and must be in the future. ISO 45001 aims to help organizations do just that.
ISO 45001 is a milestone! As the world’s first International Standard dealing with health and safety at work, ISO 45001 Occupational health and safety management systems – Requirements with guidance for use, offers a single, clear framework for all organizations wishing to improve their OH&S performance. Directed at the top management of an organization, it aims to provide a safe and healthy workplace for employees and visitors. To achieve this, it is crucial to control all factors that might result in illness, injury, and in extreme cases death, by mitigating adverse effects on the physical, mental and cognitive condition of a person – and ISO 45001 covers all of those aspects.
What will be the benefits of using ISO 45001?
An ISO 45001 based OH&S management system will enable an organization to improve its OH&S performance by:
- Developing and implementing an OH&S policy and OH&S objectives
- Establishing systematic processes which consider its “context” and which take into account its risks and opportunities, and its legal and other requirements
- Determining the hazards and OH&S risks associated with its activities; seeking to eliminate them, or putting in controls to minimize their potential effects
- Establishing operational controls to manage its OH&S risks and its legal and other requirements
- İncreasing awareness of its OH&S risks
- Evaluating its OH&S performance and seeking to improve it, by taking appropriate actions
- Ensuring workers take an active role in OH&S matters
In combination, these measures will ensure that an organization’s reputation as a safe place to work will be promoted, and can have more direct benefits, such as:
- Improving its ability to respond to regulatory compliance issues
- Reducing the overall costs of incidents
- Reducing downtime and the costs of disruption to operations
- Reducing the cost of insurance premiums
- Reducing absenteeism and employee turnover rates
- Recognition for having achieved an international benchmark (which may in turn influence customers who are concerned about their social responsibilities)
KEY FEATURES OF THE ISO 45001 STANDARD
- ISO 45001 implements the ‘high-level structure’, giving it a common framework with other management systems, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- ISO 45001 places great emphasis on the responsibility of senior management. This aspect has already been implemented in the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 standards.
- ISO 45001 explicitly includes persons who are not permanently employed but are in other ways working under the responsibility of the organization/company, such as subcontractors, as well as processes that have been outsourced in their entirety. In this way, it incorporates elements of the SCC certificate.
- The standard also introduces the term “opportunities”, as a new aspect in the field of occupational health and safety. This covers issues that go beyond the mere elimination or minimization of OHS risks and hazards.
Efor Occupational Health & Safety Co. Ltd. committed to keeping people safe and healthy at work. Efor OSGB is your reliable OHS partner in Turkey.